1776-fleury-mesplet-1  1776-fleury-mesplet-2     

Second edition of the first book printed in Montreal.
The only known copy of that edition with the form filled out copy that once belonged to the first bishop of Montreal.

CONFRÉRIE DE L’ADORATION PERPÉTUELLE DU SAINT SACREMENT ET DE LA BONNE MORT, Montréal.    Réglement de la Confrerie de l’Adoration Perpétuelle du S. Sacrement, et de la bonne mort. Erigée dans l’Eglise Paroissiale de Ville-Marie, en l’Isle de Montréal, en Canada. Nouvelle Edition revue, corrigée & augmentée. [ornament]. A Montreal; Chez F. Mesplet & C. Berger, Imprimeurs & Libraires; près le Marché. 1776. 40 p., 24mo, in its original wall-paper binding, cloth spine, (bit rubbed, hinges weak), blank leaf before title detached but present, signature of its first owner on title and admission form (p. [2]), generally nice copy.
Tremaine 231. T.P.L. 482. Lande 153. Gagnon I, 2961. Dionne I, 8. Vlach 176. The first edition of the same year does not bear a place of printing, and this “Nouvelle édition revue…” was long considered to be the first book printed in Montreal. The discovery of Mesplet’s original invoice ended that speculation. The handful of copies known of the very rare first edition, each have the admission form filled out by the faithful; however, all other known copies of the new edition have remained blank. Our copy has the following manuscript text on p. [2]: “Le jour de la Fête-Dieu est celui de mon heure de devotion du S. Cœur de Jésus au S. Sacrement”. Someone has tried to erase the name of the owner, still faintly legible as being “Jean-Jacques Lartigue”. He has chosen “Jeudi Saint depuis trois heures jusqu’à quatre du soir” and dated it “Montréal, le 2 Septembre, 1799”. Moreover, “Le Dimanche est le jour pour ma demi-heure d’Adoration devant le S. Sacrement”.
Lartigue, Jean-Jacques, 1777-1840, priest, Sulpician and bishop. In 1784 he was enlisted in the preparatory class at the Collège Saint-Raphaël (which in 1806 became the Petit Séminaire de Montréal). Lartigue showed himself as a studious and brilliant pupil. Having completed his philosophy, in September 1793 he entered the English school run by the Sulpicians, then for three years he followed an internship as a clerk at the Montreal law office of Louis-Charles Foucher and Joseph Bédard. With his cousin, Denis-Benjamin Viger, and following the example of his uncles Joseph Papineau, Denis Viger and Benjamin-Hyacinthe-Martin Cherrier, representatives at the House of Assembly for Lower-Canada, he developed for Lower Canada politics an interest that would never wane. In 1797, Lartigue took a decision that would be a turning point in his life. Even before being admitted to the bar, he renounced a promising career and opted for the priesthood. He received the tonsure the same year, and spent the two following years at the Collège Saint-Raphaël as a professor, as usual at the time, while pursuing his theological studies under the guidance of the Sulpicians. In September 1798, he made a public vow to advance toward priesthood. On September 30, 1798 and October 28, 1799, he respectively received the sub-diaconate and the diaconate from the hands of the bishop in the church of Longueuil. He was the secretary of Mgr Denaut at Longueuil from 1800 to 1806, entered the Sulpician order in 1806, was vicar of Montreal from 1806 to 1819, went on an official mission to England between 1819 and 1820 to plead the cause of the rights of the Sulpicians on the island of Montreal, where he succeeded in having the British authorities renounce, at least for the moment, to seize the property of Saint-Sulpice. Lartigue was auxiliary to the Bishop of Quebec in the district of Montreal under the title of bishop of Telmesse in Lycia, from 1821 to 1836, elected on February 1, 1820 and consecrated in Montreal by Mgr. Plessis on January 21, 1821; resident in Montreal from 1820 to 1840, and the first Bishop of Montreal from 1836 until his death on April 19, 1840.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *